For those of you who are jumping on the chia seed bandwagon, I’ve got a simple and quick chia seed pudding recipe that is perfect for breakfast or a snack during the day.
What the heck is chia seed anyway?
Three years ago I joined a triathlon team, and since then I’ve learned a whole lot about nutrition and crazy things, like chia seed. Chia seed was a staple for the Aztecs and Mayans years ago and is said to have numerous health benefits.
- High in fiber
- A great source of omega-3
- Weight loss – the gelatinous substance will keep you fuller longer
- Hydration for athletes
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup of almond milk
- Fruit (your choice!) 1/2cup of strawberries/ bananas/ mangoes/ blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- A small pinches of cinnamon
- A dash of honey
If you don’t have almond milk, use water as a substitute. Fruit and a bit of honey make all the difference in the world!
- Put your chia seeds in a bowl. Pour the almond milk and vanilla into the bowl. Include the two pinches of cinnamon.
- Place the bowl in your fridge for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight.
- In the morning, add more almond milk or water if the mixture is too thick.
- Top the chia seed with your fruit of choice.
- Serve chilled.